Four more steps
The hue of periwinkle smudged with midnight's glow,
The efflorescence butchering the walls after yesterday's downpour.
Water, barely seeping through flooded pot's earth, the plant, no longer alive.
Four more steps.
Flooding my ears are the vehicles in the distance,
The professionals are barred from pushing the pistons.
As the voices in my head grow louder,
I scream at them and at myself,
"Three more steps"
The neighbours curating the same supper as before,
My skin, searing as the burning tears flow down my face.
I never did taste victory but I always could smell it.
I breathe to myself,
"Two more steps"
My tongue feels the cracks on my palate,
Thirsty for a win and hungry for satisfaction.
As more moisture leaves through my eyes,
Rendering my mouth lifeless,
I barely utter the phrase,
"One more step"
As I take my final stride towards nothingness,
My mind rushes with memories of good and bad.
I smile even at the bad ones,
The blood reaches my mouth but the silence of the fall fails to reach my ears,
I have hit the earth's wall.
As my final thought, I think to myself,
"No more steps"
Comments
Post a Comment